Monday, February 14, 2011

Dishwasher Money Savings


Until recently, I didn’t give much thought to one of my most beloved appliances:  the dishwasher.  I load the dishes, put soap in, push the magic button, and then sit back in admiration while it does all of the hard work for me.  I love my dishwasher.  I did the same thing every time, pushing the same little circle, completely oblivious to the fact there are 10 other settings on its beautiful face.  Kudos to you who hand wash every dish, for you are a better person than I.

After a traumatic milk spill by one of my little gremlins, I was afforded the opportunity to get a closer look.  Did you know there is an air dry feature on many dishwashers?  All that means is that after the rinse cycle, the machine turns itself off.  I open the dishwasher door and pull out the two shelves to commence air drying (much to the chagrin of my husband’s shins).  You’d be surprised at how fast the dishes dry.  If the cups and other top shelf items are not completely dry when you are ready to unload, you can physically dry with a towel or just set them out on the counter for a few extra minutes.

There are benefits of letting your dishes air dry.  Money savings is number one.  Figure out your dishwasher wattage by using the following equation.  Watts = Amps * Fixed Voltage.  According to the metal label on the inside of my machine, 9.6 total amps * 120 volts = 1152 watts (or 1.152 kilowatts).  By shaving off the last 20 minutes for the drying cycle for all 292 loads a year, I estimate it saves me about $8.35 a year (1.152 kilowatt dishwasher x $0.074/ KWH x 98 hours/year = $8.35). 

According to the little environment saving tips on each page of my planner, air drying dishwasher dishes can save 10% the cost of operation.  Energy savings is obviously good for the birds of the air and the fish of the sea.  During the winter months, this practice is excellent humidification for the air.

I offer other rogue money saving thoughts for the dishwasher.  Only run full loads.  Hand-wash large pots, pans and bowls.  Those take up a ton of room, thus forcing you to run more loads.  My dishwasher does not offer multiple rinse time lengths, but see if yours does.  If it does and you pre-rinse your dishes in cold water, consider shortening your rinse cycle to see if you can get clean dishes in less time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment