Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Frugal Dinner (or Breakfast) Idea

We like to have breakfast for dinner around here.  Not only is this very yummy, but it also is a really frugal dinner idea.  We have three kids (boys) and two adults I can make the meal for about $5.  Here's how: 
  • Eggs:  We usually eat about 8 eggs.  At a $1/dozen last week at Kroger, this is $.75.  I will also throw whatever veggies we have around the house in as well.  Last night was tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach.  It is hard to figure the cost of these items, but I would guess it was about $.25. 
  • Sausage:  I will buy the Banquet turkey links that go on sale at Meijer or Kroger for around a dollar.  We eat two of these boxes, so that price would be $2.00.
  • Pancakes:  I happened to have gotten several boxes of Krusteaz wheat and honey pre-made mix for about $1/per box.  You also can make your own.  This is very easy and tastes great as well.  Here is a good recipe for homemade pancake mix.  Obviously, you pay for convenience, so making your own is the way to go for cost savings.  We ate about 1/3 of the box, or $.33. 
  • Juice:  I was able to get frozen 100% juice concentrate for $.75 after sale and coupon two weeks ago.  We drank about 1/2 of it, so $.50 for that.  See my sister's post about frozen juice concentrate here.
  • Fruit:  We also had bananas and frozen blueberries.  I estimate the cost of these to be about $1.00.  
  • This leaves the grand total at a whopping $4.58.  Not bad for a meal where everyone leaves satisfied and I don't have to make threats to get anyone to eat.  It is also reasonably healthy.  If I don't have the sausage available, I will often just increase the egg count and throw in some shredded cheese, for extra protein. 
  • Even if you hadn't been able to score all of the deals that I mentioned, this is still a very frugal meal idea.  This also reiterates that when shopping, try to stock up when things you use often, when they are at a good price.

No comments:

Post a Comment