Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Money Saving Produce Cleaner


Here's a great tip for cleaning all of those apples you have been snagging at great prices lately.

Instead of buying expensive produce cleaner, try vinegar.  Vinegar is a great germicide and it also helps remove pesticides and waxy residues on fresh produce. 

  • For apples, oranges, lemons and other larger firmer items, put them in the sink as pictured with about a cup of vinegar (I just dump it in, no measuring needed.)  Then add water and let the fruit float around for a while, about 10 minutes.  Rinse off with cold water when done.  You will notice a white waxy residue left on the apples.  This coating is just what's left of the food grade wax that apples are covered with.  You won't taste a difference, I promise.
  • For smaller more fragile items, I fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water.  I put the produce in a colander and just spray the solution all over and rinse. 
  • The kids love to help with both of these tasks and because it's such a natural cleaner, I feel OK about letting them. 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the comment, we hope you find it money saving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The produce wash is so expensive in the store but I hate not being able to remove the wax and other things from my produce.

    ReplyDelete