Monday, August 1, 2011

Frugal Birthday Ideas: Life Size Cubs Baseball Player

We had another birthday boy this weekend.  This time it was my oldest and he turned six.  His chosen theme was baseball.  In this house, we are Cubs fans.  (I know, I know.)  The above picture is roughly a five foot high Cubs baseball player crafted out of a hot water heater box.  There is a face cut out where the kiddos can put their faces in to get their pictures taken.  My very creative mother made this.  The only cost was for the paint. 

In keeping with the baseball theme, all guests were asked to wear colors of their favorite teams.  I made two round cakes, iced them with white icing and then put the 'stiching' on with red icing to look like baseballs.  You could also make cupcakes and produce the same results.  We had baseball-type food (popcorn, hot dogs, and summer salads) that could be found at a ball park. 

Pick your own theme and be creative.  The Internet is a great source of frugal material.  Have your kids help you brainstorm. 

I realize we have the advantage of having the very creative mother who can craft something gorgeous out of nothing, but I bet all of you readers would surprise yourselves.  The point is that you don't have to break the bank to make a great day for a kid.  I know mine are still young, so I can still get away with this.  I hope they see the work (not necessarily money) that is put into the day and feel special.

No comments:

Post a Comment